A two term programme to prepare international students for progression to a number of Art & Design master's degrees.
Academic English Skills
Academic English Skills aims to provide you with thorough training in the language and related academic skills which will enable you to best achieve your academic potential at University. These skills include the processes of academic writing, effective and extensive reading strategies, effective participation in seminars and delivery of presentations, and listening to and recording information effectively from lectures. You will also develop the accuracy and range of written and spoken language required to use language effectively and appropriately, with clarity and confidence in an academic context.
Over two terms you will study modules that include the following specialist Art & Design subjects up to Level 6 that will allow you access to a wide range of progression degrees:
- Research a chosen subject specialism, its nature, scope and practice within the UK and within the University. You will use planning and project management tools to organise studies and projects to be undertaken in subsequent modules.
- Undertake an extended research led creative investigation in to a subject specific area within the disciplines of Art and Design.
- Apply and collect a variety of data and materials relevant to your subject area and understand the limitations of data collection techniques.
- Undertake a case study that will demonstrate appreciation and understanding of the wider business and professional context of your chosen discipline.
- Produce a body of practical work supported by specialist workshops and tutorials.
- Analyse, evaluate and articulate visual and sensory information in a variety of forms. You will be introduced to core concepts of visual awareness: visual methodologies, communication theories; cultural significance; colour; proportion; etc.