University of Huddersfield International Study Centre

Visa information

Applying for a visa

To study at University of Huddersfield International Study Centre, you will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

How do I get a UK student visa?

Student visa applications work on a points-based system in the UK; if you score 40 points, you will be granted a visa. In order to apply for your visa, you must:

  • Apply for your a programme at University of Huddersfield International Study Centre.
  • Receive an offer of a place on your chosen programme.
  • Send documents to be checked by the International Study Centre, including IELTS scores, financial information, tuberculosis certificate and academic results (if you have already received them).
  • Pay a deposit and CAS payment to the International Study Centre.
  • Receive a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). This is worth 30 points.
  • Apply for your visa, providing financial statements which prove that you have the funds to cover the course and your living costs. This will get you a further 10 points.
  • You may also be required to attend a credibility interview.

You will be contacted to let you know whether or not your visa application has been successful.

When should I apply for a visa?

You can apply for a visa up to three months before your course start date. Apply early to make sure there is enough time for your application to be processed. You can check average processing times for your country here.

How long can I stay in the UK with a student visa?

If you have a Tier 4 (General) student visa, and your course is between six and 12 months long, you may arrive in the UK up to one month before it starts. You can stay in the UK for an extra 4 months after your course end date.

Visa credibility interviews

What is a credibility interview?

A credibility interview is designed to ensure that you comply with the UK’s immigration rules. In the interview, an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) will try to establish that you are a genuine student, and not planning to use a student visa for holiday or work. The purpose of the interview is to show that you are serious about studying at a UK university, and that you have researched your chosen course and university.

Where will I have my credibility interview?

You will normally be interviewed at the visa application centre when you submit your visa application documents. This interview is via a secure video system and you will be interviewed by a UKVI member of staff based in the UK.

How should I prepare for a credibility interview?

Make sure you have researched the University of Huddersfield International Study Centre and the local area, and are able to explain why you chose it.

What questions will I be asked in a credibility interview?

Below are a few examples of common credibility interview questions:

Explain to the interviewer why you have chosen to go to university in the UK, rather than in another country. 
Tell the interviewer why you think the University of Huddersfield would be a good fit for you. Think about its location, the courses offered and other research you have done.
You need to convince the interviewer that you know the expense associated with studying abroad, and that you have the funds available to cover your living costs and tuition fees. 

What if my student visa is refused?

If you receive a visa refusal, you have 28 days to submit an Administrative Review to the UKVI and challenge the decision made by the ECO. International Study Centre staff can help you with this process.

Combined visa

The International Year One and Pre-Master’s programmes offer a combined visa, issued by the University for the duration of your studies. The visa covers the duration of your studies at both the International Study Centre and the University of Huddersfield.

  • No need to return home to apply for a new visa between your International Year One and chosen undergraduate degree
  • Over 30 alternatives to IELTS accepted as proof of your English language level
  • Allows you to work up to 20 hours per week, enhancing CV and graduate prospects
  • Suitable for students who have previously studied academic subjects in the UK.