University of Huddersfield International Study Centre


Pre-Master’s entry requirements

To join us at University of Huddersfield International Study Centre, you need to meet the minimum academic and English language entrance requirements.

We understand you may face disruption in receiving your final academic results and English language test in 2020. We have therefore introduced the following changes so that you can start your journey and we will help you get to where you want to be.

For academic results we will take into account your individual circumstances when assessing academic achievement. For further information about this, please contact your Student Enrolment Advisor or make an online enquiry, or contact your local agent.

For courses starting this academic year (2020/21), we have expanded the list of English tests we will accept for entry to programmes at University of Huddersfield International Study Centre. Find out more here.

If you are studying the Pre-Masters, if you provided a SELT equivalent to start virtually, you will not need to submit a SELT. Find out more on the SELT equivalent tests accepted here.

If you do not meet the English language requirements for your pathway programme, you can join an English language preparation course first.

To progress to your undergraduate or postgraduate degree, you will be required to successfully complete your pathway programme and achieve the required grades.

  • Academic: One or more of the following:
    • Recognised higher/advanced diploma in a related subject area
    • Recognised degree in related field (e.g. BSC Business Studies)
    • Honours degree in any subject (e.g. BA International Relations)
  • English language: Academic IELTS for UKVI score of 5.5 (with 5.5 in all subskills)*^
  • Age: 20+
Country Qualification*
Bangladesh Recognised first degree - 3 year undergraduate BA (hons) at 45% or above
China (Mainland) 4 year full time studies Bachelor degreeor 4 year Undergraduate Graduation Certificate 70% or 3 year Higher Education Diploma 60% or 3 year full time studies average 60% plus Degree of Adult Higher Education Self-taught Examination 60% or 2/2.5 year full time studies 70% or Diplomas with 1-2 semester internship Accepted or 3 year vocational higher education Accepted or 5 year Vocational or Non-vocational full time studies 70% or adult higher school entrance examination 70%
China (Hong Kong) Recognised first degree (honours/ordinary) in related subject area
China (Macau) Recognised first degree (honours/ordinary) GPA 2.0 in related subject area

Recognised first degree or HND in related subject area

India Recognised first degree - 3 year undergraduate BA (hons) at 40% or above
Indonesia Recognised first degree or D3/D4 Diploma
Japan Recognised first degree with 50%, Associate Degree or 3-year JCD with 60% in a related subject area
Kazakhstan Recognised first degree, Bakalavar, Specialist Diploma or Kazakh Diploma (4-5 years)
Korea Recognised first degree - 60%, grade D, GPA 1.0
Malaysia Recognised first degree, Advanced Diploma, Polytechnic Certificate or College Diploma in a related subject area
Nigeria Recognised first degree or HND in a related subject area
Pakistan Recognised first degree (Hons or regular degree) or Dimploma or 2 year undergraduate at 55%
Russia Recognised first degree or a Bakalavar, Specialist Diploma or Kazakh (4-5 years)
Saudi Arabia Recognised first degree, GPA 2.0/4.0 scale or 2.5/5.0 scale
Taiwan 5 year Junior College Diploma holders
Thailand Recognised Bachelor degree, Higher Diploma of Technical or Vocational Education
Turkey Lisans Diplomasi or Muhendis Diplomasi with a GPA 2.0 from all schools
UAE Recognised first degree, GPA 2.0/4.0 scale or 2.5/5.0 scale
Ukraine Recognised first degree, Bakavalar, Specialist Diploma or Ukrainian Diploma (4-5 years)
Vietnam Recognised first degree, associate degree or High Diploma with pass

If your qualification or country is not listed then please contact us for more information.

*If you do not need a Student visa, or are exempted in another way, we can accept equivalent proof of English. If you are applying to study in the UK under the Student visa route it may be necessary for you to submit a Secure English Language Test (SELT) as part of your visa application. Find out more about valid test providers and approved test centre locations for tests taken on or after 6 April 2015. To find out if you are exempt from the SELT requirement and to find out about acceptable English language tests please contact us.

^We also accept PTE (Pearsons Test of English) 43 or above overall, with 43 or above in all subskills.

Find out more about starting your studies or check the latest COVID-19 information.